Ph. D. in Chemistry, August 2002; Pohang University of Science and Technology
Thesis Title: Formation and Application of CalixhydroquinoneNanostructures
Thesis Advisor: Prof. Kwang S. Kim
B. S. in Chemistry, February 1998; Pohang University of Science and Technology
2011.9 – Present Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Seoul National University
2014.9 – Director, SNU Graphene Center, Seoul National University
2014.9 – Present Visiting Associate, Department of Physics, Harvard University
2007.9 – 2011.8 Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry and Sungkyunkwan Advanced Institute of Nanotechnology (SAINT)
2004.3 – 2007.8 Post-doc. Columbia University
2002.9 – 2004.2 Post-doc, Pohang University of Science and Technology
- 2009 POSCO Cheong-Am Bessemer Fellowship, TJ Park Foundation
- 2010 SKKU Young Fellowship, Sungkyunkwan University
- 2010 Joong-Ang Daily - Yumin Award of Science
- 2011 Kyung-Ahm Prize of Natural Sciences
- 2012 Excellent Researcher Award (Korean Chemical Society)
- 2012 Creative Knowledge Award (Ministry of Education, Sci. and Tech.)
Journal Editor/Editorial Board
- 2D Materials, Institute of Physics, Regional Editor (Asia) (2013~).
- Scientific Reports, Nature Publishing Group, Editorial Board (2012~).
Advisory Board/Project Committee
- EU Graphene Flagship, Strategic Advisory Council (2011~).
- Cambridge Univ. Graphene Center, External Advisory Board (2013~).
- LG Electronics, Advisory Committee for CTO (2012~).
- Graphene Square Inc., Founder & Scientific Advisory Board (2012~).
- Korean Graphene Commercialization Project, Planning Committee (2011~2012).
- Korean Graphene Hub Project, Planning Committee (2012).
- MELFAS Co. Ltd., Outside Director (2013.4~2015.12).
Conference Organizers/Symposium Chairs
- 2010 MRS spring meeting, San Francisco, Symposium Co-Chair
- 2010 Recent Advances in Graphene and Related Materials, Co-Organizer
- 2010 International Conference on Electronic Materials and Nanotechnology for
Green Environment, Symposium Chair
- 2011 Recent Progress in Graphene Research, Organizing Chair
- 2012 Graphene Week 2012, Co-Organizer
- 2014 Graphene Week 2014, Scientific Advisory Board
- 2015 Graphene Week 2015, Scientific Advisory Board
- 2010 Recent Advances in Graphene and Related Materials (Keynote)
- 2010 Korea Material Research Society Meeting (Plenary)
- 2010 ISEPD, Chiang Mai, Thailand (Keynote)
- 2010 ICNST 2010, Gwangju, Korea (Plenary)
- 2010 Dasan Conference on Graphene, Jeju, Korea (Opening Keynote)
- 2010 AVS Fall meeting, Albuquerque, NM (Tutorial)
- 2011 NT11, Cambridge, UK (Tutorial)
- 2011 Graphene 2011, Bilbao, Spain (Keynote)
- 2011 15th International Conference on Thin Films, Kyoto, Japan (Plenary)
- 2013 New Diamond and Nano Carbon 2013, Singapore (Keynote)
- 2013 7th World Congress on Biomimetics, Artificial Muscles and Nano-Bio (Keynote)
- 2016 2nd International Conference in Two-dimensional Layered Materials, Hong Kong (Plenary)
- 2009 APS March Meeting, Pittsburgh, USA
- 2010 Graphene Week, Maryland, USA
- 2010 E-MRS Spring Meeting, Strasbourg, France
- 2010 International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials (SSDM), Tokyo, Japan
- 2010 30th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors (ICPS), Seoul, Korea
- 2010 Nobel Symposium on Graphene, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2011 Graphene Week 2011, Obergurgl, Austria
- 2011 APS March Meeting, Dallas, TX, USA
- 2011 Graphene 2020: Opportunities for Europe, Brussels, Belgium
- 2011 Baker Symposium: The Future of Graphene Chemistry, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, USA
- 2011 Nature Conference "Graphene: The Road to Applications", Boston, USA (Overview)
- 2011 IOP Topical Research Meetings on Physics: Graphene and Related Two-Dimensonal Materials, London, UK.
- 2012 Graphene 2012, Brussels, Belgium- 2012 Graphene Week 2012, Delft, Netherland
- 2012 Graphene and Green Energy International Symposium 2012, Tianjin, China.
- 2012 ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, USA.
- 2013 ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, USA.
- 2013 Chamers, AoA Conference, Marstrand, Sweden.
- 2013 London Business Conference on Graphene, London, UK
- 2014 MRS Spring Meeting, San Francisco, USA (2 invited talks)
- 2014 Gordon Research Conference, Lewiston, USA
- 2014 Graphene Week, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2015 Grapchina 2015, Qingdao, China (2 invited talks)
- 2015 Graphene Canada 2015, Montreal, Canada (2 invited talks)
- 2015 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), Washington DC, USA
- 2015 Pacifichem, Hawaii, USA
- 2016 China Graphene Summit, Shanghai, China
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Chemical vapor deposition (CVD) of graphene, CNTs, h-BN, and TMDCs.
- Self-assembled organic nanomaterials (nanotubes, lenses, and spheres)
- Nanowires & metal-organic core-shell nanostructures (Au, Ag, Pt, Pd).
Nanofabrication and characterization
- Electron-beam lithography techniques for molecular electronics
- Low-temperature measurement of electron-transport properties
- Low-temperature measurement of magnetic properties
- Liquid-Phase Transmission Electron Microscopy
- High-Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy (SAPD, EDX, EELS).
- Confocal Raman & Atomic Probe Microscopy.